Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Invinsible

So, I tend to think of myself as invincible. I think this is something that you are supposed to grow out of during your teenage years. I still believe it completely.

I don't lock the doors to my house. Ever. I don't even own a key to several of the locks on my doors. I don't know where the house key is that works some of the locks. I have meant to call a locksmith for years but if you are invincible, you don't really need working locks.

Several of my entry level windows are unlocked. I open and close the windows with every change in the season. I love having the windows open but I hate being hot. In the South, that equates to constantly changing between open windows and AC. Because of this, I end up leaving the windows unlocked. I have had to climb in through one of the windows directly into my bedroom on more than one occasion.

The human door between the garage doors of my house doesn't even have a lock. Anyone could walk in at any point and steal my treadmill. Or, steal my car since my keys are in the ignition and my purse is in the passenger seat. Of course, the door from the garage to the house is one of the ones that doesn't have a key so it is never locked.

Yesterday, I told two different people that I was still invincible. Bad guys in parking lots can't get me. Internet freaks can't get me just because they know my name. I'm Super Amy!

Last night, I was home alone (with the 200+ pounds of dog that might chose to run away rather than attack). I heard the back door handle rattle. My first thought was Jeremy was coming in. Then I remembered he wasn't there. My big tough Great Dane didn't hear a thing. My linebacker St. Bernard barely lifted his head. I decided I would sneak over to the door and lock it before the bad guy could come in. Let's forget for a moment that the entire door is glass and he could just break it and turn the lock himself. I got to the kitchen and found the new kitten attacking the curtain on the door's window which was then hitting the door knob. Apparently invincible women are afraid of 7 pound cats. I locked all the doors in the house and went about my night (of watching the presidential debate - which is a different kind of scary).

As I left my quiet, safe, suburban neighborhood this morning, I had to squeeze by a cop car that was blocking my driveway. There were three marked police vehicles parked in the middle of the street directly in front of my house. They had a woman standing out in the rain talking to her. I couldn't tell what was going on but she did not appear to be one of my neighbors. My across-the-street neighbor is a police man so maybe she was bothering him? With the way the police vehicles were parked in the street, it looked like they had been trying to block someone from being able to get out of the neighborhood.

I think I'll call that locksmith today.

No comments: